Requirements for Homeowner's Insurance Reduction
To qualify for a homeowner’s insurance premium reduction, the following qualifications must be met by the homeowner.
- All exterior doors are solid core doors that are 1 3/8 inches thick and are secured by dead-bolt locks. Dead-bolt locks must lock with a minimum bolt throw of one inch that penetrates a metal strike plate. If the door secured by dead-bolt lock has breakable glass within 40 inches of lock the lock must be key operated from both sides unless prohibited by life safety codes.
- All metal doors are secured by dead-bolt locks as described above.
- All double doors meet the specification for exterior doors as listed above, have inactive door secured header and threshold bolts that penetrate metal strike plates, and in case of glass located within 40 inches of header and threshold have the bolts flush-mounted in the edge of the door.
- Sliding glass doors are secured by secondary locking devices to prevent lifting and prying.
- All Dutch doors have concealed flush-bolt locking devices to interlock upper and lower halves and are secured by a dead-bolt lock as described above.
- All garage doors must be equipped with key operated locking devices.
- All windows must be secured by auxiliary locking devices. An auxiliary locking device required by this section may include screws, wooden dowels, pinning devices and key-operated locks. In areas in which life safety codes permit, metal bars or grating, if mounted to prevent easy removal, may be substituted for auxiliary locking devices.
Jalousies or louvered windows do not meet the specification of this section unless they have metal grating mounted as provided for above.
Once these requirements have been met, an appointment can be set with Constable Christopher E. Diaz PCT 2 Crime Prevention Unit. At this time a certified crime prevention specialist will conduct the survey at your home. Once this office has completed the survey and paperwork, Constable Christopher E. Diaz deputy will mail his copy to Austin. You will also receive a copy along with a written report from the deputy to give to your insurance agent.
The standard reduction is 3% to 5% depending on your insurance company. This reduction is good for three years, at which time it may be renewed for an additional three years before a new survey is required.
In the event your home is equipped with an electronic security alarm system, you may qualify for an additional reduction of your homeowners insurance premium if you system meets the requirement set by the state insurance board.
Your property must be equipped with an electronic burglar alarm that meets the following requirements.
- All exterior structure openings are contacted
- The system includes an interior and exterior siren
- All equipment is U.L. approved and is monitoring by a U.L. approved central station
- Sales, service, installation, and monitoring of the systems are done in compliance with the Private Investigators and Private Security Agencies Act (Article 4413 (29bb), Vernon's Texas Civil Statues).
For your appointment, please contact our office at 713-477-2766 or contact us on-line by selecting the Home Security category on our Feedback Form. Thank you for your interest and concern regarding the security of your home.